1-According to the International Energy Agency, Canada¢s carbon footprint is how many times global average?
2-According to the US Geological Survey, how many gallons of water are used in the production of a quarter pounder (Hamburger) from a fast food outlet?
A- 500 gal
B- 1,000 gal
C- 1,300 gal
D- 1,500 gal
NB: That’s how much it takes, per burger, to hydrate the cow, grow its food and process its carcass. By contrast, a loaf of bread uses up 150 gallons, and milk requires just 65!
3-How much has the planet warmed up since the 19th Century?
A- 1degree Celsius
4- Methane traps up to 100 times more heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide over its life time:
5- Which is true?
A- Methane is emitted during the production and transport of coal, natural gas, and oil.
B- Methane emissions result from livestock and other agricultural practices
C- Methane emissions result from decay of organic waste in municipal solid waste landfills.
D- All of the above
1- How many pounds of Carbon Dioxide can an average tree sequester per year?
A- 32 lbs
B- 48 lbs
C- 55 lbs
D- 70 lbs
2- How much CO2 will a tree have sequester by the time it is 40 years old?
A- 800 lbs
B- 1,500 lbs
C- 1,800 lbs
D- 2,000 lbs
3- Each year, one person (US) uses wood and paper products equivalent to:
A- a 80 ft tree
B- a 100 ft tree
C- a 110 ft tree
D- a 150 ft tree
4- Trees trap more of the sun’s energy than any other group of organisms on earth:
5- How many trees will you have to plant to make up in one year for CO2 emissions during a one-hour flight in a big Jet?
A- 112 trees
B- 153 trees
C- 175 trees
D- 213 trees
6- One large tree can provide a day’s supply of oxygen for up to four people:
7- Who said this: “Nothing will benefit health or increase chances of survival on earth as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.”
A- Baba Ram Dass
B- Albert Einstein
C- Mahatma Ghandi
D- Bob Dylan
1- Name another big impact of Global Warming beside ocean level rise:
A- Acidification of the Ocean
B- More oxygen in the air
C- Happier people throughout the world
D- More fish in the Ocean
2- Which among these will be impacted negatively by acidification of Oceans?
E- All of the above
3- Which of these species types will be less affected by acidification of Oceans ?
Some Interesting Facts:
1. Air: Pound for pound, methane (from livestock production) has 25 times more impact on climate than carbon dioxide over a one hundred year period.
2. Water: 1 Kg of animal protein uses 100 times more water than producing 1 Kg of grain protein.
3. Land: 30% of Earth’s land mass -about the size of Asia- is used for raising animals for food while 10% is devoted to raising grains, fruits and vegetables
4. Ice: Every ton of CO2 we emit melts 32 square feet of Artic Ice, according to a 2006 study. Which means the average American melts 525 square feet a year.
5. Sea Levels: Sea levels have already risen about eight inches (200mm) compared to pre-industrial times. The most recent projections from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) indicate that if emissions continue on their current trend,
sea levels could continue to rise another 39 in by the end of this century. According to Climate Central
estimates, 150 million or more people are currently living on land that will either be submerged or exposed to chronic flooding by 2100. In Vietnam 36% of the population will be affected; in Netherland 62%; in Us 5%.
General: 1-C; 2-C; 3-A; 4-True; 5-D;
Mitigation: 1-B; 2-D; 3-B 4-True; 5-D; 6-True; 7-B;
Impacts: 1-A; 2-E; 3-C